Sunday, May 13, 2018
OPENING DATE: April 1, 2018
CLOSING DATE: May 6, 2018 (no post entries accepted)
Host: Woodloch Stable, Inc. (5676 170th St N, Hugo MN 55038)
Organizers: Ingvill Ramberg & Lindsey Kahn
Judge: Nancy Porter
Course Designer: Dom Schramm
Woodloch Stable’s inaugural Eventing Derby is a dressage and jumping competition with a course that features stadium jumps and cross-country jumps together in one course. The course includes inviting jumps, a wide track for cantering/galloping, a bank, a ditch, and a water complex. This is a wonderful opportunity for riders or horses new to eventing, as well as those who want a low-key “practice run” before going to a recognized horse trials. Formal show attire is not required, however ASTM/SEI-approved helmets are required when mounted (protective vests and medical armbands required when jumping).
Starting times will be posted on this page and the Woodloch Facebook page during the week of the Eventing Derby, and will be emailed to all competitors when available.
- Entry fees per horse/rider combination: $75 for Introductory/Starter, $85 for Beginner Novice/Novice
- Ride-A-Test available, $25 per test. Specify which USEF/USDF/WDAA test on entry form
- Non-Compete horses welcome, $15 per horse. Negative Coggins required with entry
- Limited stabling available, $30 per stall (first come first served)
- Cross-country course will be open for schooling after the derby, $20 per horse/rider combination.
- Refunds: 100% before closing date, 50% after closing date, no refund after May 12, 2018 (day before derby). $10 office fee is nonrefundable.
Volunteers are always needed and it is a great way to get involved and learn more about this fun and versatile sport. All ages are welcome to volunteer, no experience necessary! Volunteers will receive some incentives in return for offering their help and time to our Eventing Derby. 🙂 Volunteer sign-up will be available online soon!
- Each rider/horse combination is assigned a time for their dressage phase and a time for their jumping phase. There will be audible signals to start. The times are designed to give each rider enough time to put on their protective vest/armband (if not already wearing), change tack (if desired), and warm their horses up in the jumping area before their jumping test.
- Braiding is NOT required and is not encouraged.
- Coaching is allowed during course walks and in warm-up areas only. Introductory & Starter level dressage tests may be read.
- The jumping course will be open to walk on the day before the derby from 6pm-8pm, and on derby day from 7am-8:30am and during the lunch break (approx. 12pm-1pm). Course walking is NOT allowed during ride times/when riders are on course. Vehicles are not allowed on course.
- The cross-country course will be open for schooling AFTER the derby for $20 per horse/rider combination.
- Each horse/rider combination must have their own entry form, fee, and negative Coggins. Each rider must sign and submit a liability waiver with their entry. Riders may ride more than one horse in the derby (separate entry forms required for each horse). Horses may be ridden twice in the derby, provided they are with different riders for each ride.
- NO DOGS ALLOWED ON XC COURSE. Leashed/kenneled dogs are allowed in the trailer parking area. Dogs MUST be leashed at all times, no exceptions.
- During the jumping rounds, Intro/Starter rounds will be untimed. BN/N rounds will be timed and willful delays will be enforced.
- Jumping penalties will be scored as follows:
o Knock down = 4 points
o 1st refusal = 4 points
o 2nd refusal at the same fence = 8 points
o 3rd refusal at the same fence = elimination
o 4 refusals in the whole course = elimination
o Exceeding optimum time (per second, BN/N only) = 1 point
o Fall of rider NOT during approach or landing of a fence = no penalty
o Fall of rider during approach or landing of a fence = elimination
o Fall of horse at any point in the competition = elimination
o Lowest combined score (dressage + jumping) wins. Ties will be broken by the time closest to optimum time.
o Show staff reserve the right to stop and excuse any unsafe horse/rider combination.
(Subject to change)
For more information, contact Lindsey Kahn.